Thursday 1 March 2012

Textured Backgrounds - Part One

I've been working on some small pieces, playing around with textured backgrounds.

Lately I've been experimenting with different styles and techniques of art, but I always come back to my roots.

These types of textured backgrounds are where I started with art. I love their depths, and with a coat of glossy spray varnish, they are gallery-worthy in my mind.


I've made a set of two pieces. Today I'll show you one; tomorrow will showcase the second one.

It's now available in my etsy shop.



This is the first time that I've used ink as paint (for the tree branches).
"Plant a seed and grow roots" refers to my monkey's and my desire to have a baby.  

A little blurry, but you can see the edges of the work in this photo and a lot of the texture.  
I used a spray ink to get this effect over my textured background. 

This shot is my favourite. I feel that it really shows the textures and the quality of the piece. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! I LOVE this piece---so rich in color and texture---thanks for sharing it. You're an inspiration! Deborah from SAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Texture and color...just gorgeous Shannon
    my favorite thing to do as well
    Lillian
    http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedmediaart/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the texture of this piece..thanks for sharing the ideas behind your art...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)