EDIT: Registration for this Swap is now CLOSED. Please check back for the next Swap, coming in Spring!
(Need a crash course on Mixed Media or some inspiration to get started? Examples and ideas below!)
Past participants, please note that you will have to fill out this form to be in this Swap, even if I already have your address!
The basic idea:
- You will make 10 postcards in a mixed media format (don't be afraid - mixed media is a cinch! Keep reading...)
- You will receive 10 mailing address from me for other creative people just like you from around the world!
- You will send each of those ten people one of your handmade postcards.
- Then you will receive a handmade postcard from 10 other people from around the world!
Sound like fun? Then join us!
The rules are easy, but make sure that you read through them and follow them! Remember, you have to follow through if you sign up! A real live person will be waiting for each of your 10 postcards!!
Note: Last day to sign up is January (EDIT) 7th, 2013!
1. Join the swap by filling out this form.
2. Click on the go to www.paypal.com to submit your $5.00 to participate. Send your $5 to shannonganshorn at gmail.com ($5 = a cup of coffee, a vending machine sandwich, a deck of cards, a couple of chocolate bars, or TEN original art postcards!!!! Easy choice! )
3. Make 10 handmade postcards in a mixed-media style. Remember, "Mixed media, in visual art, refers to an artwork in the making of which more than one medium has been employed." That means that you can combine ANY types of art into your postcards! (Oh what fun!!!!!)
* There are some examples of Mixed Media styles and techniques further down in this post:
4. Tell your friends about the Swap or grab this badge to put onto your blog, linking to this post! The more people we have participating, the more fun it will be! Spread the word; share a link to this page on Facebook or Twitter, write about the swap in your next blog post. Thanks for helping make this swap AWESOME!
5. After January 15th, I will email you 10 mailing addresses to send your cards to. They might be from across the city, across the country, or on the other side of the world because this swap is open for everyone!
6. Make sure that you fix the appropriate amount of postage, write a nice message, and then send your postcards "plain" or "hidden" in an envelope for protection depending on what you've made. (It’s up to you!) The deadline for sending your postcards is February 8th, 2013. (This means that we will receive them all by Valentine's Day!)
7. Wait patiently for the snail mail to do its thing! You will be getting postcards from 10 different people around the world! How exciting!
Again, the steps are:
1 - fill out the form to register before January
2 - $5 on Paypal to shannonganshorn at gmail.com (before January
3 - make 10 postcards
4 - share the Swap info with other artsy friends
5 - get 10 addresses from me by January 15th
6 - send out your postcards by February 8th
7 - wait on your doorstep for cards to roll in!
What is Mixed Media?
Mixed Media is an art form that encompasses every other art medium – truly every single one! Mixed Media combines two or more different art mediums (media) into each art piece. Here are some examples of some of the combinations that I love:
- Photography and Ink
- Fabric and Watercolours
- Paint and Crayons (I *love* crayons!)
- Pencil Crayons and Ink
- Fabric and Photography
- Collage and Paint
- Scrapbook Style and Paint
- Embroidery and Ink
- Sewing and Origami
- Zentangle and Painting
- Collage and Stencils
Use any or ALL of these combinations, and then add your own! The possibilities truly are endless!!!
Here are some examples of some combinations that I love. Maybe they will inspire you to make some mixed media postcards and participate in the Swap!
This is a piece that I did using a heart-shaped paper doily, napkins for the background, and ink (pen) highlights. Then I used letter stamps to put the word "dream" into the middle.
Here is a portion of a collage that I did using fabrics, washi tape, magazine cutouts. So fun!
The large swatch in the middle is fabric; the background is acrylic paint, and there are all sorts of papers collaged in. Over top, there is some light blue thread.
This one has book pages torn and layered into the background, acrylic paint over top (but not too thick!) and crayons forming a large circle. I used a stencil for the word "blue" and pasted a feather on it.
Are you inspired yet?
Don’t forget! Fill out this form and pay your $5 entry fee to participate!
"Like" Musings on Realities on Facebook for progress and Swap updates: