Friday 6 January 2012

DIY Bathroom Decor

Bathrooms. Not the prettiest room in the house.

I don't know about you, but on the back of our toilet there is a spray can of room deodorizer for those "less fresh" moments. How UGLY is that? The toilet is ugly enough, but then we have to keep a can of room spray on the tank. Yech!!

My mother-in-law showed me a way to pretty up your bathroom by hiding that ghastly can of spray for FREE!

Supplies (all on hand):
- empty Pringles chips can
- tissue paper in a colour that matches your bathroom
- mod podge
- trinket, fake flower or figurine (optional)

When I saw the full-sized Pringles chips at my local dollar store for a buck apiece, I snapped up two cans!

Once you've emptied the can and given the inside a wipe with a dry paper towel, give the outside a coat of ModPodge.
Oh, and you can put the plastic lid aside - we won't need it for this project.

Our 1950s house came with a blue toilet, so I'm using a royal blue for the tissue paper.
I put a full layer of plain tissue paper down first so that I could be sure that none of the can showed through.
You can see my pretty tissue paper on the table.
Make sure that you cover the whole can, including the bottom, with this first layer.

Once you've covered the can and bottom completely with one layer of tissue paper, apply another nice coat of ModPodge for the pretty paper.
I placed the pretty paper upside-down on the table and just rolled my can onto it.

Make sure that you completely cover the solid bottom of the can, and tuck your loose ends into the opening with more ModPodge to stick it down. 

Here is what my can looked like with a full layer of the pretty paper.
(This is the bottom, but it will be the top when we put it to use in our bathroom!)

You can use your can as seen in the previous photo, or add a little something to make it even more awesome. I chose this little porcelain bird, but you can add anything from fake flowers to Scrabble tiles to river rocks - whatever you'd like!
I glued my bird on with carpenter's glue, but depending on your trinket, you could probably use a glue gun.
The finished product with the can bottom as the decorative top.
The spray can of room deodorizer will be underneath it. Just lift up your new decorative cover when you need to access it!

And here it stands on our throne. A little bit of pretty in a bathroom can't hurt :)
("Frog Girl" original art by Laurel Swenson  http://www.laurelswenson.com/  )


9 comments:

  1. I like this, I'm sure my DH has some pringles tubes somewhere LOL! Thanks for posting this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend loves Pringles. Now I know what to do with one of the cans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chance to recycle something. I am your newest follower! www.craftingforchiari.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonna make one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute idea! I have the same 70's toliet!! can't do anything about it till we buy the house or move!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly enjoyed the way you explore your experience and knowledge of the subject! Keep up on it. Thanks for sharing the info.
    http://www.small-bathroom-designs.com/kids-bathroom-decor.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea.....,but what I want to know is where did you get that painting above your toilet? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an awesome & an Excellent Idea to Hide something in a decorative manner. Other than this, the color complexion(sky blue n white), decorative light, mirror on wall, silver color towel hanger/warmer and some craft work on the wall can make your bathroom looks lovable & surely not a boring place to go!..

    ReplyDelete
  9. like the design and the coloring of the bathroom. Really a nice attempt and it grabs attention. Thanks for the blog keep updating more like this.Sharing something for all about bathrooms as there are many innovative sites with which we makeover our bathroom with creative Bathroom Makeovers and bathroom design ideas. and get your bathroom looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)