Monday 16 January 2012

Napkin Art!


I joined a lovely group of girls called the Sisters In Art Society (SAS) this past weekend. They meet once a month about 45 minutes south of where I live, just south of the Canada/US border in Bellingham, WA.

I can't believe how inspiring it was to sit and chat with other people who share my love of art. Not only that, but we all love the same STYLE of art - mixed media!

In case you didn't know, I live in British Coloumbia, Canada.
My hometown of White Rock is about 5 minutes from the
Canada/US bordering state of Washington.

Once you open your mind to mixed media as an art form, the posibilities of creation are endless. Truly! There are so many ways to create art.

Off the top of my head:
- painting
- photography
- collage
- stencils
- drawing
- sketching
- sewing
- knitting
- crochet
- embroidery
- origami
- doodles
- zentagle
- sculpture
and on and on and on!

So at my first (of many to come!) SAS meeting, I managed to get my hands on a few nifty napkins.

Paper napkins are AWESOME for mixed media and collage because of their tissue-paper-like thickness. The ModPodge or acrylic mediaum seeps right into the napkin.

Here is a spread that I started at the meeting and then finished off at home.

I LOVE the black background in these napkins on the left. I used two different napkins here: one with the floral pattern and the other torn into smaller pieces of the butterflies. I then pasted on the doily heart and used my Sakura White Jellyrool Pen to highlight some of the flowers and forms that I liked the most :)

Here is a close-up of the red doily and blue flower outlined with my white jellyroll pen. AWESOME!

To the left of the Eiffel Twoer image, I did some zentangling of a brick wall. I like the structured images together.

Here is the whole spread again. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out!

7 comments:

  1. Your spread is awesome! Playing with napkins is the most fun, I just adore it. :)
    We're so lucky you've joined SAS! I'm looking forward to more fun gatherings creating art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spread is beautiful. I will never look at napkins the same way again! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made this at our meeting? Wow! I wanna sit by you! Since you added a brick wall to your collage, how about linking up to my Writing On the Wall post last Saturday. I'd love to have ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fab fab..I love working with napkins...so bold !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you found a group of art people so close to you! I love all the layers and the way you created your focal images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning Shannon...your work is spectacular. Very inspiring.
    :O)
    Jessica S

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)