Thursday 19 January 2012

Imitation Fosters Creation


Simple, stylised tree. I don't know who made it.
If it is your work, please let me know! 




I came across an amazing watercolour tree a couple of years ago.

I loved its simplicity.

I loved how the "leaves" were perfectly round.

I loved the little birds.

I printed it off the computer and I pasted it into one of my art journals for future inspiration.












Last year I decided to dabble in watercolours (now one of my favourite media!) My first attempt was to copy the tree.

I really liked how the watercolours allowed the leaves to take on different hues and shades. They definitely came to life more than I had imagined. I was definitely hooked on watercolours from then on!


My imitation of the perfect tree. It definitely pales in comparison, yet when viewed on its own it has a voice.

This afternoon I decided to re-create the image again using crayons. I had a lightly coloured background and took different shades of green and brown to create my tree.

My tree in using crayons.
When I look at my own trees in my art journal, I like them a lot! In fact, I think they look pretty awesome for their own reasons.

It's only when I put them up against the inspiration piece that I get grumbly and discouraged.


 What do you think about art imitation?

1 comment:

  1. I use images as jumping off points. The act of imitation refuses to work between my eyes, brain, and hand. I like your tree with the water colour.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)