Thursday 10 May 2012

New Watercolour Techniques

I think I've stumbled across something wonderful. Who knows - this technique could be being used by artists all over the world! Today, though, I' going to keep it for myself and say that I came up with it. (If you've seen this done before, just nod and smile and read on ;)

Here is a glimpse of a page that I painted with watercolours, then began to outline the darker and lighter portions of the watercolours with a black Pigma pen.
You can see here the yellow portion before I outlined it. See how there are lighter and darker yellows as a natural result of the watercolour paints?

And here is the same portion after I outlined it. It gives it a whole new cartoon-like dimension that I love!!

Here is the whole page with all of the lighter and darker portions outlined. I wish that I had taken a photo of the before - these outlines really make an amazing impact on the page!!
Neat, right? And I discovered it all by myself! :) I feel like a journal queen! Like I said, I'm sure that it has been done before since it is such a simple technique, but to be playing around with watercolours and then stumbling upon this idea, I feel pretty outstanding!!

Maybe I'll work this into my postcards...

5 comments:

  1. I love it! How cool that you discovered it for yourself. It's always a great feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it....LOVE,LOVE, LOVE IT!!!! THANKS! for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (smiled and read on...) what a lovely technique! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful!! This style would make wonderful postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome, Shannon. It would make amazing postcards!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)